Common Foods that are Poisonous to your DogIf your dog eats any of the foods listed below, contact your vet or ASCPA Animal Poison Control Center Hotline 888-426-4435. A $55 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.
If your dog has a HomeAgain microchip and is registered with the new and improved HomeAgain which costs $14.99 a year, you may call HomeAgain at 1-888-466-3242 and Animal Poison control will be called and the $55 fee waived.
There he is, man's best friend, looking at you longingly with those big brown eyes while you enjoy a snack. He follows your hand-to-mouth action with the precision of a cobra ready to pounce. Finally you give him "just a taste." Or you leave food on the counter, or the pantry door is left open or the garbage can is left unguarded for a few minutes and your dog decides to help himself to a tasty treat. Seems harmless enough, but many foods eaten by humans can cause big trouble and even death for dogs.
If your dog eats any of the foods listed below, contact your vet or ASCPA Animal Poison Control Center Hotline 888-426-4435. A $55 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.
Coffee including grounds and beans
Grapes and Raisins (small amounts have caused death in some dogs)
Hops (used in home beer brewing)
Moldy or spoiled food
Onions or onion powder
Potato leaves or stems
Sugarless candy and gum containing Xylitol
Tomato leaves and stems
Other items that are Poisonous to your Dog
Common examples of human medications that can be potentially lethal to pets, even in small doses, include:
Cold Weather Hazards
Rat and mouse bait
Common Household Hazards
Fabric softener sheets
Post-1982 pennies (due to high concentration of zinc)
Bread twist ties
Christmas tree water (may contain fertilizers and bacteria, which, if ingested, can upset the stomach)
Ribbons or tinsel (can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction - most often occurs with kittens!)
Nontoxic Substances for Dogs and Cats
The following substances are considered to be nontoxic, although they may cause mild gastrointestinal upset in some animals:
Toilet bowl water
Ten Most Common Poisonous Plants